Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Remembering The Hatch's Bookstore Gang



As long as I featured a 2005 college of my friends and coworkers at the University of Denver Bookstore yesterday, I thought I would follow up with a photograph of some of the Hatch's Bookstore gang, taken in the early 1980s.  Hatch's was a local Denver bookstore chain, and also had stores in Craig, Colorado, and Lawrence, Kansas.  I was the manager of the Hatch's in University Hills Mall, moving to Denver from Chicago in 1981 to take that position. Like many bookstore chains, Hatch's no longer exists, but it was a fun place to work while it lasted.  Going clockwise from the upper left in the photograph is Bruce, who later got a job as an archaeologist with the Wyoming Highway Department; Stuart, wearing Groucho glasses and who astute blog readers will recognize from Monday's post; Carie, who later worked as an editor for Random House and HarperCollins in New York; my ex-wife Lisa (I met here while working at the store), who is now a music teacher at an elementary school in San Francisco; and Maggie, who the last I heard was head of the Colorado Center for the Book.  I googled Carie Freimuth's name to find out which publishers she worked for, and was shocked to find that she passed away from a rare form of cancer last year at the age of 55.  Her obituary stated that she got an MBA from Columbia University, and that as an editor, she had worked with Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, and Donald Trump. What a career. And how sad to pass away at such a relatively young age.  It definitely puts things into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment