Sunday, April 10, 2022

National Champions!


The University of Denver Pioneers won the 2022 NCAA National Hockey Championship over Minnesota State last night. It was their ninth NCAA hockey title, tying the record for most in NCAA history. I did not watch the game, but living across the street from the DU campus, I guessed that they had won from the cheers and car horns coming through the open window. Later on, I took my sister Susan's dog Blackberry out for a walk, and we followed the sound of those cheers to the corner of University Boulevard and Evans Avenue, the gateway to the campus. There, students were celebrating the victory in the streets, under the watchful eyes of the Denver Police and Fire Departments, and where I took the above photograph. I noticed the policemen had what looked like automatic weapons, but suspect they fired rubber bullets like the ones used during the Black Lives Matter Protests. Happily, there was no need to use them. The celebration seemed pretty mild, even by my standards, although I did hear reports of a few couch fires further down the street that took place later on. When I got home, I saw on the television news that the main celebration was on the rooftop patio and in the parking lot of The Pioneer, a local DU hangout. Since it was getting late, I decided to skip heading over there to celebrate. After all, I need my beauty sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment