Monday, October 10, 2022

Columbus Day 2022


Today is Columbus Day (officially the second Monday of every October), which several states have now changed to Indigenous People's Day. In Chicago, where I attended Fort Dearborn Grammar School, located in the Southside Brainerd neighborhood, the Chicago Public Schools have changed their Columbus Day holiday to Indigenous People's Day, too. If they had done that back when I attended school there, I would not have cared. A day off from school is a day off from school, no matter the reason, and always the cause for celebration. I took the photograph above of Fort Dearborn, by the way, in 2010 while holding a photo I also took of one of the Kloak kids on that school's playground back in the 1960s, no doubt a child prodigy in the making. And look how that turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment