Thursday, July 27, 2023

My Parent's Wedding Anniversary






Today would have been my parents Nelson and Mary's 83rd wedding anniversary if they were alive today. That is a long time ago in anyone's book. The photograph on the left was taken of the two of them in front of my Uncle Jack's (my mother's brother) home in Evergreen Park, Illinois on one of their anniversaries. Evergreen Park is where my sister Susan was born at Little Company of Mary Hospital and where Ted Kazinsky, The Unabomber, was born and raised, although as far as I know the two events were not related. But who knows?







My Uncle Jack was a really nice guy, and he and his wife Helen often had us over for dinner. Evergreen Park is a suburb of Chicago, just to the west of the South Side Brainerd neighborhood, where my sister Susan and I grew up, and the Beverly neighborhood, which was, and as far as I can tell, still is a very upscale place, especially famous for its hilltop mansions along Longwood Drive. To live on a hill in the State of Illinois is a rare and often expensive thing. In the photograph on the right are, from left to right, my Grandmother Louise Spillard (my mother's mother), my mother Mary, father Nelson, and my mother's brothers, Jack and Bill. I wish they were all still around to celebrate my parents anniversary today, preferably sitting in front of that garage in Evergreen Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment