Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Finding Fixer-Uppers In Abiquiu


When my sister Susan and I visited Santa Fe, New Mexico a few weeks ago, we traveled north of the city to Chimayo to see El Santuario de Chimayo, a beautiful chapel and pilgrimage site. We then drove on to Abiquiu to see if we could get a look at artist Georgia O'Keeffe's home and studio. For the life of me, I could not find the place, and it is a very, very small town. Evidently the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum offers tours of the place, but they originate from the Welcome Center down on the main highway, and visitors are taken to the home and studio by shuttle bus. There are no signs or any acknowledgement of the place in Abiquiu itself. No doubt they keep the location secret to prevent gawkers, such as us. But I did take the photograph above of the center of town, and it looks to me like there are some great fixer-upper opportunities there, including that little gem in the foreground of the photo. A little work on the roof, a few repairs to the windows, a little elbow grease on the inside, and you have yourself a hacienda. Sadly, I do not have the skills to do this, but I am sure some shrewd bargain hunter who does will snap this place up quickly. When you do, please let me know where that damn house and studio are.

No comments:

Post a Comment