Tuesday, September 5, 2023

The Horror. The Horror. In Other Words, The Day After Labor Day.


I always hated the day after Labor Day when I was a kid going to school at Fort Dearborn Grammar School in the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago. Back then, it seemed like only yesterday that class had ended for the school year, and I was free. And now so soon back to drudgery. Of course, these days, most schools start in August, including Chicago Public Schools, even if those schools don't have air conditioning, which Fort Dearborn certainy didn't. My opinion is that if workers at places like Starbucks can have unions, why not students, even elementary school students? They could negotiate the date for the first day of school, as well as starting times, holidays, sick days, coffee breaks, etc. Time to organize, kids! And by the way, I took the photograph above of Fort Dearborn the last time I went home to Chicago, back in April of 2010. And my ghostly presence can be seen in the second row, far left, of my 1965, 7th grade class photo. The good old days - they were terrible. You can quote me on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment