Wednesday, November 8, 2023

So That's Where The Elk Hang Out...


I have driven past Elk Meadow Park up in Evergreen, Colorado many many times. It is a very scenic place, but I have never once seen an actual elk hanging out there. I must say, the place is badly misnamed. And where do the elk around there congregate? I found the answer to that yesterday afternoon, when I stopped for a traffic light a few blocks south of downtown Evergreen, and ran into a herd of elk, as seen in the above photograph (I assume they are elk, but perhaps they are deer - I was born and raised in the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago, where wildlife was limited to various patrons of the taverns). In any case, they appeared to be heading from the library to Three Sisters Park, located a few blocks to the west. I couldn't help but notice that they were using the crosswalk, as they indeed should be doing, but were crossing against the light. And then it hit me - elk (or deer) must be color blind. Perhaps Colorado Parks and Wildlife should fit them all with those glasses that correct color blindness. Then, the next time they cross that intersection, they will do it safely. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment