Friday, November 24, 2023

The 50th Annual Mile High United Way Turkey Trot




Yesterday morning was the 50th annual Mile High United Way Turkey Trot, which took place in Denver's Washington Park. I have lived in Denver for over 42 years, and this is the first time I have attended this event, even though the starting line is a mere 15 minute walk from my condo. I did not do any running, but simply watched from the sidelines. And, I must say, it was a lot of fun. For some reason, I always thought this event was just one run that started very early in the morning, but in fact there are 4 "waves" of runners, beginning at 9:00 A.M. I arrived at the starting line in time for the 2nd wave, as seen in the photograph on the left, which consisted of 3,000 runners (attendance averages 9,000 a year, and judging by the traffic all around Washington Park, I can believe it).




The crowd was in a great mood, and a lot of the runners were wearing turkey suits, turkey caps, tutus (beats me), and other assorted outfits. As I have mentioned many times before on this blog, people in Denver just love dressing up in costumes, although this is the first time I realized they did it on Thanksgiving, too. Many people were also running with their dogs, and pushing baby carriages. And a lot of people were just walking the route, which is what I would have done if I had wanted to take part and pay the 50-$55 registration fee. And I must say, if an average of 9,000 people attend the Turkey Trot annually, this must be a huge fundraiser for Mile High United Way. Which, of course, is a very good thing.





At the finish line, Great Divide Brewing Company had set up a beer garden, which was doing a booming business, even if it wasn't even 10:00 in the morning yet. It reminds me of an old beer commercial from back in the day: "Pointer Beer - Not Just For Breakfast Anymore." There were food booths around, too, as seen in the photograph on the left. I was actually tempted to make the dog in that photo the next Mutt of the Month, but what the hell - he or she added to the general ambiance of the Turkey Trot, and needed to be included here. Dogs, by the way, also had to register for the event, at $10 each. Surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment