Saturday, October 12, 2024

The Weirdest Boat I've Ever Seen...




I have to take my car in for an oil change next week, which made me think about my last oil change, down in Palm City, Florida. I drove my car across the Palm City Bridge, left it at the Goodyear Auto Service Store, and then walked back across that bridge to my sister Susan and my condo in Stuart. I must say, the view was much more interesting than the walk down East Evans Avenue I will be taking next week. As I was crossing that bridge, I saw the vessel in the photograph on the left going under the span. And my first response was "What the hell?" I have no idea what that boat's purpose might be. I assume it is a work boat, but why is it square? I don't expect to see it moored at the Sunset Bay Marina the next time I go for a drink at what I call the Jolly Sailor Pub (the outdoor bar at Sailor's Return), which overlooks the marina, but you never know. After all, it's hip to be square. Right? Or not so much these days?




When I crossed that bridge, I also got to see our condo complex's yacht club from the water. It is the building on the right, with the red roof, in the photograph on the right. And as you can see, there are no yachts, or for that matter, even dinghies in sight. When the complex was built, prospective buyers were told they would be able to moor their boats there, but the developers could never get permission to dredge. And so the yacht club is now only used for parties, which is exactly what it would have been used for even if they could have had boats moored there. Next door, however, is Circle Bay, which was able to dredge, and provides a berth in front of their condo for each owner. Which means the boaters are over there, and the golfers (our complex has a nine-hole course) are over here. Just as God, or perhaps Martin County officials, intended it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment