Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Buyers Beware! There Are Only 10 Weeks Until Halloween!


I was walking around the Stuart Centre here in Stuart, Florida yesterday afternoon and stopped in at Five Below, which is a discount store where most items are priced at $5 or less. And the first thing I saw was the Halloween display seen in the photograph above. This is, of course, August 19th, a mere 10 weeks until Halloween, and so I assume people are getting pretty anxious about getting their Halloween shopping done. Even back in Denver, I noticed a Spirit Halloween store already open at a former Big 5 Sporting Goods Store on South Colorado Boulevard. Halloween is a big deal these days for the twenty-something crowd. But then again, it has been for years. The Saturday before Halloween has always been the night for hipsters to dress up in costume and head to Lower Downtown Denver (LoDo) and party the night away. And years ago, the crowds on Boulder's Pearl Street Mall on that same Saturday night grew so large and rowdy that eventually, for several years, police had to seal off the city and allow only residents in on that particular night before finally putting an end to what was called the Mall Crawl. And do they celebrate like that here in Stuart? I suspect not so much, although I must say there are a lot of those 8-foot giant skeletons around, which most people leave up all year long. What is the deal with that? The undead making a statement?

No comments:

Post a Comment