Friday, August 21, 2026

Ironwood


I just finished reading Ironwood, Michael Connelly's latest novel, which features Sheriff's Detective Sergent Stillwell, who is charge of the sheriff's substation on Catalina Island, located 22 miles off the coast of Southern California. This is the second book in the series, and although I did not think that first book measured up to Connelly's other series, I really enjoyed this latest thriller. The plot centers around two cases Stillwell is investigating. One involves an alleged drug drop at the local airport, which results in the killing of one of his deputies and the wounding of another. Stillwell is ordered to stay away from the case while put on temporary leave during an investigation of the incident. He busies himself with the mundane task of cleaning out the station's lost and found and discovers the suitcase of a hiker who went missing on the island 4 years ago, although the suitcase was only turned in several months earlier. All this leads to the hunt for a serial killer, with Stillwell teaming up with Detective Renee Ballard and the LAPD's Open-Unsolved Unit. On top of this, he learns that the killing of his deputy at the airport was a targeted hit. This is a fast-paced, exciting story which I really enjoyed, and I now have to admit that this series ranks right up there with Connelly's others. Be sure to pick up a copy at your local library for a good summer read.

No comments:

Post a Comment