Saturday, August 29, 2026

Remembering Dancin' In The Streets


This is August, and since it is not exactly tourist season here in Stuart, Florida, what with the 90-degree temperatures and 100 percent humidity, not much is happening around town. However, back in the day, August was when Dancin' in The Streets (sometimes called "drinking in the streets" by locals) took place on a Saturday evening in downtown Stuart. And it seemed like everyone in town looked forward to this street party and music festival each year. People would talk about it in stores and restaurants and ask each other if they were going, which everyone, of course, answered with an enthusiastic "Yes!" Working at the University of Denver Bookstore for almost 30 years, the best time to take a 2-week vacation for me was in August, while the students were gone, and so I was always here visiting my mother Mary when that event took place. However, she was not a "dancin' in the streets" kind of person, and so I never actually attended the festival until 2015. And I must say, I really enjoyed it. It was great fun. Sadly, just a few years after that, it was canceled, and I still don't know why. I contacted Stuart Main Street, the festival's sponsor, and was told people just lost interest in it, although judging by the size of the crowds the time I went, I found that hard to believe. Still another of life's mysteries to ponder. And yes, that is indeed my sister Susan standing in front of a poster advertising the festival, which I took well over 20 years ago. About as close as can nail it down these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment