Sunday, July 22, 2012

Self-Portrait With Frank


I took a photograph of myself with Frank, the Cigar Store Indian, in Denver's Writer's Square this afternoon.  I know his name is Frank, because the Cigar Store Lady came out to see if I wanted her to take the photograph, and told me his name.  I am beginning to remind myself of the idiot in William Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury" these days,  because whenever I hear a name, I go into a reverie about people I have known with that same moniker.  This afternoon I immediately thought of Frank White, the husband of one of my mother's old high school friends.  Frank weighed between 200 and 300 pounds, and his wife, Margaret, always referred to him as "Baby Foo" - why I don't know.  In addition, long before the cartoon character Charlie Brown existed, Frank was famous for having the scrawniest Christmas trees in the Chicago area, whether for economic reasons or to better display each ornament, I also don't know.  A "Frank White" Christmas tree had real meaning back then in Chicago.  Take that, Charlie Brown!

No comments:

Post a Comment