Friday, March 15, 2013

Another Thursday Night, Another Old Chicago


For the second Thursday night in a row, my friend Stuart and I had pizza and beers at an Old Chicago, this time in exotic Lakewood, Colorado.  As I mentioned in a post last week, Stuart is from the North Side of Chicago, home of the Chicago Cubs, where baseball is played in a park with vines on the red brick walls and the fans focus on the ambiance.  I myself am from the South Side of Chicago, home of the Chicago White Sox, where the simple, honest, hardworking South Side fans hang on every play, and both players and fans - as humorist Jean Shepherd once remarked - have often never even seen a leaf in years.  I asked Stuart if he wanted to place a small bet on which team would finish this season with the best record, but he quickly declined.  Cub fans are very passionate about their team, but after last year's 101 losses, are evidently pretty realistic about their chances, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment