Thursday, July 27, 2017

My Parent's Anniversary





If they were still alive, today would have been my parent's (Nelson and Mary's) 77th wedding anniversary.  And in honor of this day, I am posting a photograph I found in a family album taken of them at the Indiana Dunes back in July of 1937, three years before they were married.  They look so young there, much younger than the parents I knew growing up.  That they seemed much older to me as a child I attribute to having to deal with my sister Susan, who was born 11 years before me.  I think she gave them all they could handle.  Miss Collins, one of Susan's teachers at Fort Dearborn Grammar School, in the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago, referred to her as " a piece of work," and when she was a child, she used to go around the tables at a local beer garden, while everyone was dancing, and kill off their beer bottles.  I don't mean any of this in a negative way. I understand completely.  I'm just sayin'.  Happy Anniversary Mother and Dad!  And keep on keeping on, Susan!

No comments:

Post a Comment