Friday, January 12, 2018

More On The National Western Stock Show





The National Western Stock Show is a very popular event here in Denver, especially with families.  Kids just love seeing all the animals on display, and the line to get into the petting zoo is always very long.  One of the most popular activities is to have a photograph of your children taken sitting on top of a Texas Longhorn, such as  the one in the photograph on the left.  And if the cage wasn't locked, I would have been happy to put the young kid seen in the photo on the longhorn's back, so he could have a truly unique western experience.



This particular Texas Longhorn has been appearing at the stock show for years now, and each time I attend I faithfully take a photograph.  After all these visits, you can tell by its friendly look that it instantly recognizes me. Good to see you again too, big fella.  The National Western runs through January 21st this year, and I strongly recommend attending the event if you can. However, if I were you, I would just stick with the grounds admission and skip the rodeo. One year I wound up getting a special deal that included free rodeo admission, and I attended my first - and hopefully last - rodeo.  It was interesting for the first 15 minutes or so, but it just dragged on and on after that.  I am pretty sure it lasted about 12 to 14 hours, enough rodeo for several lifetimes.  Of course, that is just my opinion.  My old University of Denver boss Ed had a much more positive view of the rodeo experience, which was that "once is interesting, twice is a mistake." So there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment