Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Viewing Photographs Of Cuba At The Robert Anderson Gallery







This past Friday afternoon I drove over to the Robert Anderson Gallery on East Colfax Avenue, located just a few blocks east of the Tattered Cover Bookstore, where I used to work.  This gallery is currently featuring an exhibit of photographs of Cuba by 8 different artists that will run through November 2nd.  I learned about this event from an advertisement in a local neighborhood paper, seen on the left. And I must say, it is well worth seeing.  Robert Anderson, the owner of the gallery, gave me a personal tour of the exhibit, and explained the different methods used by each photographer.  The photograph featured in the advertisement was produced by a complex process involving a glass plate, and then hand colored by the photographer.  And I must say it is very impressive, so much so that I briefly considered spending the $250 to buy it.  But only briefly - I am after all a cheapskate.




The Robert Anderson Gallery, by the way, is right next door to The Bluebird Theater, as seen in the photograph on the right. It is an area of Colfax that has been gentrified in recent years.  The homes behind these stores are quite impressive, and the streets on which they are located dead-end at City Park, two blocks to the north. And a side note about the Bluebird - years ago  it was a XXX theater, and Jimmy, the brother of one of my employees at Hatch's Bookstore back in the early 1980s, worked there as a ticket seller.  Talk about a unique line of work - think of the conversations you could have at cocktail parties.  Or perhaps not.

No comments:

Post a Comment