Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Viewing The Aspens In Poudre Canyon




My sister Susan and I (along with her two dogs, Blackberry and Tutu) drove from Fort Collins to Poudre Canyon Sunday afternoon to look at the golden aspens, which are now at their peak after a slow start.  We drove through the canyon all the way to the top of Cameron Pass, and on the way back I stopped at various spots to take some photos, such as the one of the left. And by the way, when I drove through Poudre Canyon a few weeks ago with my friend Stuart, we stopped at the Moose Visitor Center near Walden, Colorado, and a note on the blackboard there said two moose had been spotted recently walking along the road on Cameron Pass.  However, this past Sunday there were no moose in sight.  We did spot a deer crossing the road, but it just isn't the same.



The fall colors were very pretty, as can be seen in the photo on the right, but as we neared the top of Cameron Pass, the aspens disappeared, which surprised me.  When I got home, I tried to find out why on the internet, and found an article in the Fort Collins Coloradan that didn't explain why, but said that the gold aspens start up again on the other side of the pass and that the colors are spectacular all the way to the Moose Visitor Center. Continuing on over the pass would have entailed an extra 2 hours of driving, and so I decided to nix that and turned around at the top.  The truth is that when you have seen one aspen, you've seen them all, similar to what my father once said about mountains.





My sister Susan, by the way, is just as camera shy as my friend Peter, who I featured in yesterday's blog (the blog was about zombies, but - as far as I know - Peter is not a zombie).  In any case, whenever I try to take a photograph of her, she can become quite violent.  I once tried to take a photograph of her in the kitchen of her townhouse in Fort Collins, but when she picked up a rather large knife, I decided it just wasn't worth it, and so, my final photograph is not of her, but of more aspens.  Safety first, I always say.

No comments:

Post a Comment