Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Lessons from Lucy



I just finished reading Lessons from Lucy: The Simple Joys of an Old, Happy Dog, humorist Dave Barry's latest book, which describes how his shelter dog Lucy taught him to live life and be happy after middle age (Barry recently turned 70).  I was not sure I was going to like this book, but found that it was just as witty as his other humor collections, and in some parts even quite poignant.  Barry appeared this past April 15th at Denver's Trinity United Methodist Church, in conjunction with the Tattered Cover Bookstore, to discuss the book and sign copies.  I myself did not attend, since these days bookstores - especially the Tattered Cover - are frequently requiring that you buy a ticket in advance for the event, usually held at an off-site location, which includes a copy of the book.  Back in the good old days, you could simply attend the talk at the bookstore, and if you wanted to buy the book, you could, and if you didn't, you could simply leave after the talk.  But no more if it happens to be a bestselling  author or famous individual.  Happily, I was able to pick up a copy of Lessons From Lucy at the library, and enjoyed it very much.  I recommend that you pick up a copy at your local library, too.  It is definitely worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment