Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Visiting Georgetown





My sister Susan and I, along with her dog Blackberry, drove up to Georgetown last week to look around and also take a few photographs. Georgetown is only a 45-minute drive up I-70 from my condo in Southeast Denver and is a really pretty little mountain community. It was founded in 1869 to supply silver mining camps, and it's historic downtown contains many of it's original buildings, as seen in the photograph on the left.





Georgetown is a popular summertime destination, but is pretty damn quiet during the winter. There were not many people out and about, but it was still fun to drive around and look at all the old buildings and the quaint 19th century homes. The population is only 1,000, and so I have to wonder if many of those houses are just weekend homes. Living full time there and commuting to Denver is fine during the summer, but during the winter, if a snowstorm is bad enough, they close I-70, and people have to sit in their cars, often for hours, until the road reopens. Unless you also have a place in the city, of course, which would be nice, but no doubt expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment