Sunday, November 5, 2017

The DU District



My friend and former University of Denver Bookstore co-worker Wally tipped me off that there was an article in the The DU Clarion, the student newspaper, concerning the university's plans for the campus.  I rushed over to the student center Saturday morning to grab a copy, but found out the new issue was already out, and last week's issue long gone.  But then I noticed some bunched pages at the bottom of the pile, and was pleased to see it was indeed a copy of last week's issue, which included a story about a proposed "DU District," the main purpose of which seems to be to make the approach to the campus from the north more appealing.  Looking at the accompanying map, it appears that DU wants to put a hotel at the corner of University and Buchtel Boulevards, right where my condo building is currently located.  Ironically, on my walk to the student center I saw a lot of signs up in honor of Indigenous People's Day, mainly telling  how land was stolen from native peoples throughout history.  Of course that is true, and the Native Americans were treated horribly, but I find it strange that the university so laments this part of American history, but has no qualms about seizing other people's land for themselves when it suits their purposes.  I just hope I don't wind up as the crazy old man in an otherwise abandoned building, screaming down at the awaiting bulldozers.

No comments:

Post a Comment