Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Dinner In Fairplay, Colorado



As I have mentioned over the past several blogs, my sister Susan and I took a mini vacation to visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison (America's least visited national park) and points in-between. Driving back from Cortez (at the extreme southwestern point of the state) to Fort Collins, a mere 45 miles from the Wyoming border, is one hell of a trip in one day, and so it was a long, long ride.  After taking many breaks to accommodate Susan's dogs Blackberry and Tutu, we were way behind schedule.  I told Susan we would stop in Salida, a truly upscale and beautiful mountain town, but it was 5 miles out of our way, and so I elected to skip it.  I also told Susan we would stop in Buena Vista, a popular resort town along the way home, but it too turned out to be slightly off our route.  We finally wound up stopping for dinner in Fairplay, Colorado, which I have badmouthed many times in this blog. But surprisingly, we found this town to be friendly, welcoming, and just plain nice.  We had dinner at what appeared to be the local's restaurant of choice - Millonzi's -  and each had great pizzas, served by friendly locals.  The lesson here is never let first impressions ever cloud your judgement of both places and people. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment