Friday, August 23, 2019

Remembering The Island Reef



Recently, going through a box of my mother Mary's photographs, I discovered the one above of her and her cousins, taken on the patio of the Island Reef Restaurant near Stuart, Florida, where my mother lived for almost 30 years.  The photo was taken in 2002, and as far as I know, is the last one taken of them together. They are all gone now, the end of an era. These cousins were the children of my Aunt Babe (my Grandmother Louise's sister) and her husband Byron, and our families were always very close. In the above photograph are (from left to right) Byron, Betty, my mother Mary, Byron's wife Lorrie, and Shirley. And by the way, the Island Reef closed many years ago after the two partners who owned it had a falling out.  I never kept up with what happened to the place afterwards. Thanks to the miracle of the information super highway (do they still call the internet that?), I have learned that this restaurant is now called Kyle G's Seafood and Steaks, and they still have a happy hour on that same outdoor patio, just like in the good old days.  Be sure to check out their website (and make reservations) at https://kylegseafood.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment