Saturday, August 31, 2019

Untitled Final Fridays





I attended the Untitled Final Friday event at the Denver Art Museum last night, this one titled A(me)ricana (I know, I know).  The evening featured such things as a talk on New American cuisine, a pie-eating contest, line dancing, and a few other pretty weird events, all of them it seems to me to be pretty far afield from art.  The museum, by the way, has announced that it will be reopening it's renovated North Building, as well as it's new reception center, in stages, starting this spring. The reception center will have two restaurants, and so one can only hope that the free buffet table on Final Fridays will finally return after a two year absence.



It is a good thing the North Building will be reopening, because I must say there was not too much art on display last night.  Two of the galleries were closed for the installation of new exhibits (including the big Monet exhibit coming in October), which left just a gallery exhibiting a collection of British paintings (which has been on display quite a while, I might add) and two galleries showing various works from the museum's collection entitled The Light Show. I did attend this month's edition of Joan and Charlie, a comedy skit put on by the Buntport Theater, seen in the photo on the right.  The focus this month was why the painting this skit takes it's name from is no longer on display, and in it's place are nonsensical pieces such as large "lighted doilies."  I must say, I have to agree.  And as I have said many times before, this event is just not the same without free food.

No comments:

Post a Comment