Wednesday, August 7, 2019

The August Mutts Of The Month




I took the photograph on the left of the August Mutts of the Month while they were waiting for their owner to finish perusing a menu in front of a restaurant in Old Town Fort Collins. Old Town Fort Collins is popular year round, but especially in the summer, when people can sit out on the patios and people-watch as they consume their dinner and libations.  My sister Susan and I were on our way to CooperSmiths's, the oldest brewpub in Fort Collins, and located right on Old Town Square.  It was a Monday night, much quieter than on the previous Friday night, when a very loud band was playing in the center of the square and made conversation impossible.


My sister told me she enjoyed the music, but not me - if you can't hear what the person across the table is saying to you, as far as I am concerned that is not a pleasant thing.  But I digress.  Old Town Fort Collins is made up of many buildings built in the 1870s and 1880s. Unlike Boulder and Denver, which sprang up to serve gold miners, Fort Collins was founded as a military fort to protect the Overland Trail mail route, which had recently been re-routed through the area.  The military fort was decommissioned in 1867, but by that time settlers were streaming in and the area became a fast growing agricultural center and Fort Collins was incorporated in 1873.  Today one it's nicest features is Old Town Square, with all those historic buildings and where events and concerts (including very loud ones) are held during the summer.  I took the photograph on the right of a statue in the plaza just in front of CooperSmith's.  It would look good on the balcony of my condo, but would be very hard to sneak away with.

No comments:

Post a Comment