Friday, February 14, 2020

A Game Of Ghosts And A Time Of Torment



I recently finished reading A Game of Ghosts and A Time of Torment, two of John Connolly's Charlie Parker private detective/horror novels.  I had read his latest two books, and liked them, and thought I would read his two previous books, also.  And I have detected a definite pattern to these stories.  All seem to involve sinister groups made up of both the living and, sometimes, the dead, committing various crimes and murders to sustain it's members.  In A Game of Ghosts, Parker is hired to find a private detective that has gone missing while investigating a mysterious group called The Brethren.  A Time of Torment finds Parker trying to find the reason his deceased client was framed for a horrific crime, sent to prison for 5 years, and eventually killed, which involves another mysterious group called The Cut.  Both of these novels kept my interest and were good reads, but reading too many of the same series one after the other can make the stories lose their freshness. I think from now on I will just wait for the latest book to come out and read that. And if you do decide to start reading the Charlie Parker series, I recommend starting with The Woman in the Woods and A Book of Bones after that.  Then you can decide on your own whether to "binge read" the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment