Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Lincoln's Birthday!



Today is Lincoln's birthday, which always reminds me of my days back at Fort Dearborn Grammar School, located in the south side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago, where I grew up.  I was never crazy about school, and getting both Lincoln's birthday and Washington's birthday off in the dreary month of February was a wonderful treat.  Now, of course, thanks to the travel industry's lobbying efforts years ago, these two holidays have been combined into President's Day - always on a Monday, of course - so that people might be persuaded to travel somewhere over the long holiday weekend.  And in honor of those poor students back at Fort Dearborn (and it is still there, by the way), who have lost such a valuable holiday, I am once again featuring a photograph that I took there of my teacher, Mrs. McCormick, from my desk in her classroom.  I  think she even caught me doing this, and reprimanded me.  A rascal to the end, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment