Thursday, February 13, 2020

Denver's Old Terminal Bar



Last week I did a blog about the places three famous members of the Beat Generation  - Ken Kerouac, Neal Cassady, and Allen Ginsberg - used to frequent here in Denver.  I left off the old Terminal Bar - a one time Denver fixture that catered to workingmen coming off their shifts at nearby Union Station and the old Terminal Annex Post Office - because I could not find much proof that the three of them actually drank there.  Once gentrification came, the Terminal Bar was sold by original owner Nancy Archer to Dave Query, who made it the second location, after Boulder, of his Jax Fish House and Oyster Bar chain.  Query writes in a company blog that Jack Kerouac used to live upstairs, and if he lived upstairs in what was then more or less a flophouse, he and his pals must have drank at the bar downstairs, right?  I also read that Query preserved the Terminal's old horseshoe shaped bar when the space was renovated, but when I recently looked in the windows, I saw only a sleek, modern, sushi bar arrangement.  Which makes me wonder what the Beats would have thought of sushi?

No comments:

Post a Comment