Saturday, February 8, 2020

Snow Returns To Denver




After a nearly snowless January, it seems like it has been snowing almost continuously here in Denver since we moved into February.  The most recent storm started this past Thursday afternoon while I was up in Fort Collins. The weather forecasters said northern Colorado would be hit hardest, and so when only light flurries were falling as I drove home that night, I figured I had lucked out.  However, the closer I got to Denver, the harder it started to snow and the stronger the winds became.  Fortunately, I had reached the parking lot of my building when conditions got even worse, and I was very happy to have made it home in one piece.  Friday morning, I woke up to find it was still snowing, as seen in the photograph on the left.




It never did stop snowing yesterday, and since I had already done enough playing in the snow the day before, I decided to stay hunkered down all day. According to the local newscasts, the situation in the mountains was much worse, with I-70, the main route to the ski areas, closed in both directions.  All those poor weekend warriors heading up to the mountains for a ski weekend were trapped for hours in traffic, and either eventually turned back or waited for the roads to reopen late Friday night.  All this despite the fact that Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow and predicted an early spring. So much for the science of meteorology.

No comments:

Post a Comment