Friday, February 21, 2020

The Littleton Museum Part II - Visiting With The Animals






I mentioned in yesterday's blog that I recently revisited the Littleton Museum, which features not only exhibits showing that city's history from the 1860s to the present, but also has two "living history farms" from the 1860s and 1890s with actual living animals.  The first farm animal I encountered was the horse in the photograph on the left, who was more than happy to pose for the camera.  I get the feeling that the animals here don't get enough visitors, and certainly not enough attention.






The bighorn sheep in the photograph on the right was friendly, but does seem to have a serious under-bite.  I really think that museum staff need to bring in a dentist to see if he or she could help.  There were a number of other sheep in the pen, too, but most of them seemed to shy away from me, behaving like, well, sheep.






The goat in the photograph on the left was extremely friendly, and not only was willing to be photographed, but followed me all along the fence of it's pen.  When I headed off to look at the 1860s schoolhouse on the other side of the grounds, I could still see him or her, front feet on the fence, following my progress.  Museum staff definitely need to visit with this animal several times a day, if not more.  Perhaps they could throw a ball for it to catch.  If dogs like to do this, why not goats?






And, of course, how can I not include the museum's guard cat.  It watched me as I walked past the 1860s farmhouse, and later on followed me inside and watched my every move while I was in there.  This cat was also here the last time I visited a few years ago, and so must be a fixture at the place. And I might add, ever vigilant.

No comments:

Post a Comment