Sunday, January 14, 2024

A Tale Of Three Cities



It got down to 12 below zero here in Denver yesterday morning, and it was damn cold in the room where I sleep, despite the radiator running all night. I waited until it warmed up to a toasty minus 4 degrees outside before I got out of bed, and when I looked online at the front page of the Denver Post, it said that the real cold was still coming. Oh Joy! The photograph on the left, taken from the window of my condo, located across the street from the University of Denver, is very similar to ones I have used many times on this blog, but I don't care. I'll be damned if I am going outside and wander about looking for something original to shoot in this kind of cold. I guess I really am getting old. In any case, I checked online, and the Chicago area got between 5 to 12 inches of snow, and for a time, near blizzard conditions, as opposed to just a dusting here in Denver. The Arctic Cold Front we are experiencing here arrived in Chicago last night, and so it is nice that we all get to suffer together. 




Meanwhile, down in Stuart, Florida, where my sister Susan and I rent out the condo we inherited from our mother Mary, it is supposed to warm up to a high of 74 degrees, after a chilly start in the 60s. What is wrong with this picture? Perhaps we should insist on switching condos with our tenants during the winter months. I wonder how that would go over? The photograph on the right, by the way, is of the House of Refuge, a former life-saving station built in 1876 to rescue sailors who shipwrecked on the off-shore reefs. It is now a museum, and a very pleasant stroll along the ocean from Stuart Beach, where I wish I was at this very moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment