Sunday, January 21, 2024

More South Side Nostalgia!


My laptop computer - a mere 3 years old, I might add - stopped working a few weeks ago, and I took it to where I purchased it to be repaired. It needs a new motherboard, and they evidently have to ship the part from China - via tramp steamer, no doubt. I'm sure I'll get that laptop back well before Christmas. I hope. In the meantime, I am using my late brother-in-law George's old iMac to post my blog, and in the process of uploading photographs from a flash drive, ran across the photograph above, taken from an old CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) Historical  Calendar. It shows a streetcar heading up the hill on 111th Street toward Longwood Drive, in the Beverly neighborhood, not too far from where I grew up in the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago. I was going to make a joke about how my sister Susan rode this streetcar as a child, but when I read the caption, I saw it was taken in 1948, and she very well could have, hopefully accompanied by my mother or grandmother. Of course, even back then, I understand she was very strong-willed, and so it would not surprise me at all to learn she did indeed ride it by herself. And by the way, you can upload this year's CTA Historical Calendar at https://www.transitchicago.com/historicalcalendar/. I suggest you do it right now - you'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment