Friday, January 12, 2024

What Three Million Will Get You In Denver



I often take walks in Denver's Washington Park, and when I do, I often pass by the house at 800 South Franklin, as seen in the photograph on the left.  Built in 1890, it was in the news a while ago because the person who bought it wanted to tear it down and replace it with new construction. Since it is the oldest house bordering Washington Park, there was a bit of an outcry about it. I never heard what happened, but recently saw a sign out front announcing that it is back on the market. It is located right across the street from the park, on the east side, with a view of the mountains in the distance. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and is 2,359 square feet in size. I looked at the interior photos on Redfin, and it does indeed look like a very nice home. The asking price, however, is $2,995,000. 





Now to me, that seems a bit excessive. In last month's Chicago Magazine, the Listing of the Month in the 312 Section of the magazine featured "The President's Mansion," located in Evanston, Illinois, and built by Evanston's inaugural village president back in 1874. It has 7 bedrooms, 4 1/2 baths, is close to 10,000 square feet, and sits on a 3/4 acre lot. It also features fireplaces in all the public rooms, as well as the master bedroom, and is a mere 6 blocks away from the Davis Street Metra Station. It is currently for sale, with an asking price of 1.899 million. Of course, both places are well out of my league, but I have to ask if living across from Denver's Washington Park is worth 1 million more than a mansion in Evanston. If I was in the market, I would definitely choose the President's House in Evanston, and when I entertained the old University of Denver Bookstore gang, I would simply fly them by private jet to Chicago and put them up in those 7 bedrooms. That's what you can do with an extra million in your pocket. As for the view from that house on South Franklin, and quoting my father Nelson after a visit to Colorado, "If you've seen one mountain, you've seen them all."

No comments:

Post a Comment