Friday, January 5, 2024

The 2024 National Western Stock Show Parade


I took the light rail train down to Denver's Union Station yesterday morning to photograph the National Western Stock Show Parade, which marks the beginning of the National Western Stock Show, held every year at the Denver Coliseum. The crowd was already huge when I arrived, many wearing cowboy hats and western clothing, proving once again that Denver still is a cowtown at heart, at least during the show's 16 day run. The most popular part of the parade is at the begining, when cowboys on horseback herd longhorn cattle through the downtown Denver streets. I arrived at 17th and Wynkoop, where the event starts, and staked out what I thought was the perfect spot for a good photo. Until the parade started, and a police "ranger," whatever the hell that is, stood on the street directly in front of me, blocking my view. I did manage to get a single photo showing part of the longhorn action, and through massive cropping using Photoshop, wound up with the photograph above. Next year, I plan to wear my fake Chicago Daily News (out of business since 1978) press credentials around my neck and stand in the middle of 17th Street, directly in front of those longhorns, and take the perfect shot. What could possibly go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment