Friday, January 28, 2011

The Book of Knowledge


When my sister was a child, my parents bought her a 20 volume encyclopedia set called "The Book of Knowledge." It had a profound impact upon her life - it stimulated her thirst for reading and was the source for all her research on school projects. I remember looking at the set once in a while in our basement, but never was so enthralled as Susan was. And so I was surprised that I spent almost $100 on a reprint of the series, a 10 volume set that reproduced the original 20 volumes. After looking at the entry for Chicago, my home town, I was glad I did. I looked up Chicago, and it discussed the city in all it's 1940's glory, back when my parents' were young and my sister was a toddler. It is a great comfort being able to go back to those innocent times whenever I want. Hell, it might even have been worth $200 to buy the set. And that is saying something for a notorious cheapskate.

No comments:

Post a Comment