Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Holidays in Hell


I have a bad habit of buying books and then not reading them for the next 25 years or so, and when I do, they are hopelessly out of date.  This is certainly true of Holidays in Hell by P.J. O'Rourke, in which he reports his visits to various troublespots throughout the world.  It is now more history than current affairs, but it is fun to see how his predictions for the places he writes about turned out.  Most of Latin America and Lebanon are still hellholes, but his prediction about South Africa's future was dead wrong.  In any case, I strongly recommend that if you buy a current affairs book at your local bookstore, you read it within 10 years or so.  I myself definitely intend to get to that signed Hillary Clinton book read before the 2016 general election.

No comments:

Post a Comment