Saturday, February 21, 2015

Revisiting Okinawa...





I still can't get over the fact that there is a restaurant - a very trendy restaurant - named Okinawa at the corner of Colfax Avenue and York Street here in Denver, just a few blocks away from the bookstore where I work. My father Nelson, who would have been 106 years old next month, served on Okinawa as a dentist during World War II, and was not crazy about the place.  It would have been fun to bring him to this restaurant on his birthday to see his reaction.  In any case, his favorite television show was MASH, because he said that program showed exactly what it was like back on Okinawa at his medical unit.  In any case, I am featuring a photograph of my father as a major, just before he got out of the service, on the left, and Okinawa the restaurant above.  And they are still taking reservations, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment