Saturday, January 19, 2019

An Auspicious Birthday!



Today I am 66 years old. That is both good news and bad news.  On the bad side, I am now officially an old person. On the good side, I am finally eligible to start receiving social security (my first check arrives in exactly 4 weeks and 4 days, not that I am counting). And on this auspicious occasion, I am featuring a photograph of myself and my Grandmother Louise Spillard (my mother's mother), taken in front of our house in the south side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago, most likely in the late 50s or early 1960s.  I am on one of my first bikes, which I would ride all over the neighborhood, and eventually through the Dan Ryan Woods, into the Beverly neighborhood (where stock yard executives built their mansions), and eventually into Evergreen Park, the suburb where my Uncle Jack and Aunt Helen Spillard lived.  It was something I really enjoyed, and even today I still enjoy riding through the neighborhoods of Denver, going from my condo to Lower Downtown and throughout the city.  Some things change a lot, and amazingly enough, some things change very little.

No comments:

Post a Comment