Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Dead Wake



I recently finished reading Dead Wake, Erik Larson's book about the sinking of the Lusitania.  Larson, the author of one of my favorite non-fiction books, The Devil in the White City (about a serial killer during the Chicago World's Fair in 1893), published Dead Wake back in 2015, and I actually bought a copy from the History Book Club.  However, I never read it until now.  It wasn't until I noticed that Larson's latest book, The Splendid and the Vile, was recently released that I decided that I needed to read Dead Wake before I even thought about reading his latest tome.  Larson's books read like novels, and as usual, this is an absorbing story, well worth reading.  The most surprising part for me was learning that this tragedy, which killed 1,201 men, women, and children, did not have to happen.  Be sure to order a copy online (the only way you are going to get it these days) to take your mind off the pandemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment