Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Fourth Monkey And The Joy Of ARCs



I just finished reading The Fourth Monkey, a dark mystery about a serial killer written by J.D. Barker.  Since everything is closed due to the coronavirus, I have not been able to get the recently published mysteries that I have ordered from the library, and so have been forced to go through the "ARCs" sitting on my bookshelves. ARCs are advanced reading copies of books sent to booksellers and reviewers in advance of publication, and were available for the taking in the break room of the Tattered Cover Bookstore, where I used to work as the bookkeeper.  When new ARCs came in, there was always a rush to grab titles from the most popular authors.  Being free, I accumulated approximately 20,000 of these ARCs, and am only now getting to most of them.  The Fourth Monkey came out in 2017, and the story takes place in Chicago, my old stomping ground (always a plus).  Police detective Sam Porter is on the trail of a serial killer called 4MK (the Fourth Monkey Killer), and is desperately trying to find the latest victim before she is killed.  It was actually a pretty good story.  I recommend picking up a copy, even if you are not from Chicago.  Plus, I have discovered that Barker wrote two 4MK sequels since The Fourth Monkey.  When the library opens up again, I will definitely order the other two in the series.  As for now, I have only 19,999 ARCs left to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment