Saturday, August 12, 2023

Speaking Of DU...




I had lunch with my friend Stuart yesterday at Spanky's Urban Roadhouse, located just to the west of the University of Denver campus, which I waxed nostalgic about in yesterday's blog post. Stuart is doing well, and seems strangely unenthusiastic about his team, the Chicago Cubs, being only 2.5 games out of first place. Stuart grew up on the North Side of Chicago, and I suspect feels that being only 3 games over .500 in a weak divison does not bode well for a possible Chicago Cubs playoff run. I myself grew up in the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago, and have finally lost all hope for my South Side heroes, the Chicago White Sox - curently 23 games under .500 - to make a comeback this year. After lunch, we walked around the DU neighborhood, past the building Stuart lived in years ago, and then through the park across the street, where I took the photo of Stuart on the left.




Eventually we walked across the DU Campus, stopping in at the Josef Korbel School of International Studies, where Stuart earned a graduate degree, and from there toured the (relatively) new DU Commons, which boasts a rooftop deck and "The Fourth Story at the Community Commons," as seen in the photograph on the right, where they serve beer, cocktails, and free (Yes! Free!) hors d'oeurves, but only between 4:00 and 8:00 P.M. Since we were about 3 hours too early, we decided to head back the way we came. Plus, since it is still 4 weeks before regular classes begin, and not a soul in sight anywhere in the building, will they really open up at 4:00, with free hors d'oeurves, no less? If you believe that, I have a bridge I want to sell you. A really nice one, too! It's in Brooklyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment