Saturday, August 26, 2023

The Norman





I drive past The Norman, a 6-story condo building on South Downing Street, located directly across from the Denver Country Club, several times a week. Each time I go by, I always think it looks kind of creepy, especially in the winter, when all the leaves are off the trees and everything looks so stark. I strongly believe that if they decided to do a remake of Rosemary's Baby and set it here in Denver (and why not - the Perry Mason Movie of the Week starring Raymond Burr was filmed here in the 1990s), it should definitely be set at The Norman. I recently stopped to take a few photos of it when I went biking this past week.




One of the photos I took of The Norman can be seen on the right. When you get right down to it, it doesn't appear to be all that creepy. I guess it is just a feeling I get when I look at it. Hearing the chants of a Satanic coven coming from an open window probably adds to that feeling (just kidding). The place was built by prominent Denver architect William Norman Bowman (hence the name) in 1924, and is said to be one of Denver's best preserved luxury apartment buildings from the 1920s and 30s. Bowman designed more than 30 buildings in Denver, including quite a few now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and died in his home at The Norman in 1944. This is not a cheap place to live - 2 bedroom apartments start at $3,100 when they are available. Not in the same league as The Dakota, across from Central Park in New York City, where Rosemary's Baby was rumored to be set, but pretty pricey for Denver. And is the place haunted? I could not find a single mention of any ghosts on the internet. Probably scared away by all the Satanists.

No comments:

Post a Comment