Friday, September 6, 2024

A Return To Lookout Mountain


On our way back to Denver from Stuart, Florida, my sister Susan and I stayed the night at the luxurious Motel 6 Resort Hotel and Spa near Lookout Mountain, in Chattanooga, Tennessee. This was not the first time I have made a stop at Lookout Mountain. Back in 1963 my father Nelson, mother Mary, maternal grandmother Louise and I took a road trip to Florida and made a stop at the Lookout Mountain Battlefield. I remember walking around the park and heading down the trail past all the cannons and other Civil War paraphernalia. My father, seen in the photograph above posing in that park, called out to me to come back, because he was too old to walk all the way down the mountain and then have to come all the way back up again. At the time he was 54, ancient in my book, and so I headed back up the mountain and we went on our way. Now that I am at the advanced age of 7I, I understand completely, and decided not to return to that battleground park. Plus, we needed to start out early to get to Columbia, Missouri, which is one of my favorite towns to hang out in. Our destination - Flat Branch Pub and Brewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment