Sunday, July 9, 2017

Rockies Versus White Sox!



I went to the Colorado Rockies - Chicago White Sox game at Coors Field here in Denver with my friends Stuart and Mark Friday night.  Stuart had to leave early, and it was probably a good thing, because the White Sox really stunk up the field.  It was a horrible game.  The Rockies won 12 to 4, and the game wasn't as close as the score indicated.  My South Side Chicago heros looked no better than they did when I left Chicago back in 1981.  As Jean Shepherd once said, if he were the leader of a platoon of men he had to choose a suicide squad for a secret mission, he would first ask if there were any White Sox fans among them, because White Sox fans are used to hopeless situations.

After the game, Mark suggested  we stop at a techo dance club and pick up some chicks (I am paraphrasing here using my inimitable style) , but unfortunately it was way past my bedtime, and time to head home.  And I need to mention two things about the evening.  First, the music the Rockies play at the stadium is horrible - loud, heavy metal, techno, garbage type music that hurts the ears.  Why do they do that?  Obviously to attract a younger crowd, but at the expense of driving away older fans.  And second, I have been badmouthing Portland about the number of homeless sleeping on the streets there.  Well, Mark and I had to walk across town to get to where I parked my car (it is against my religion to actually pay money to park).  It was after 11:00 P.M., and we walked down 18th Street, where one block was also filled with the homeless bedding down for the night. So it is truly not a Portland problem, but a national problem.  A national disgrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment