Friday, July 7, 2017

The Big Parade!



I was able to attend this year's 4th of July Parade in Cannon Beach, Oregon for the firs time in 3 years.  It is a really fun experience, and is the epitomy of small town America.  Anyone who wants can be in the parade if they show up at the appointed time and place. Each time we have discussed taking part with a Hoyt Family Float, but invariably we wind up sitting on the sidelines and just watching the show. That is not true for the Jackson Street Lawn Chair Brigade, which can be seen showing off it's lawn chair skills in the photograph on the left.







In the photograph on the right, of course, is none other than a living, breathing Statue of Liberty.  I think that parade participant carries off that look very well.  I have often thought of wearing an outfit like that myself, possibly even to work, but at my age I am afraid my employer would think it was a sign of early (or perhaps right on time) Alzheimer's and have me taken away to God knows where.










And I must say everyone in our group thoroughly enjoyed the event.  It was definitely a feel good kind of day.  It was a warm, sunny morning, everyone was in a good mood, and the entertainment was all good fun.  While most of the family drove to the parade, a few hearty souls, including my cousin Annette and myself, walked to and from the parade along the beach. Although it was warm downtown, it was actually windy and kind of chilly along the beach, thanks to the 54 degree temperature of the water.  There was not a single swimmer in sight, not even a surfer in a wet suit.  If I had only packed my speedo, I would certainly have put it on and shown those Oregonians what Coloradans are made of.  Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment