Sunday, September 15, 2019

A Mooseless Saturday In The Colorado Mountains





My friend Stuart and I drove from Fort Collins up Poudre Canyon to Walden, Colorado yesterday afternoon to experience the fall colors and to find moose to photograph.  Sadly, we struck out on both counts.  The only moose we saw was the statue in front of the Moose Visitor Center, seen along with Stuart in the photograph on the left.  I must say, I have been traveling through both Colorado and Wyoming a lot this past month, and have yet to see a single moose.  I will say that both states have a massive amount of cattle, but photographing them does not have the same pizzazz.



As soon as we reached Walden, the only incorporated town in the entire county, we headed straight to The 10th Frame, a combination restaurant, bar, and bowling alley that Stuart has dined in before and has highly recommended. The special was quesadilla burgers, which we both ordered and which were indeed excellent.  It was a small town hangout, and everyone there seemed to be locals.  Stuart tells me that this town is very popular with hunters, but hunting season is still a few weeks off, and so the crowd was sparse.  After dinner, we headed outside, admired the view from the front of the restaurant, as seen in the photograph on the right, and then headed back to Denver, south through the Arapaho National Wildlife Refuge.  No moose there, either.  Damn.  I suspect I will see a unicorn before I ever see a moose in either Colorado or Wyoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment