Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The Hundredth Man



I have just finished reading The Hundredth Man, the first Carson Ryder detective novel by J.A. Kerley. I started reading this series after picking up an advanced reading copy (an ARC) of one of his books at the Tattered Cover Bookstore, where I used to work as the bookkeeper, until retiring. That particular book was about a Mobile, Alabama police detective who is hired to head a special crimes unit in Miami, and the story was actually pretty good.  I have read subsequent books in the series, and recently thought I was ordering Kerley's latest, The Death File, but was wrong - dead wrong, as they say in these type of stories.  It turns out I actually ordered The Death Collectors (and I am sure you can understand my confusion), his second book in the series. Using the weird logic that is embedded in my brain, I decided to also order Kerley's first book, The Hundredth Man, and read that one before starting The Death File.  And I must say, The Hundredth Man was a pretty good story, although a bit gruesome. It follows Mobile police detective Carson Ryder and fellow detective Harry Nautilus as they try to find a serial killer who is decapitating victims, leaving the body but not the head behind.  This series is not for the squeamish, but as I have said, a good read nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment