Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Dealing With The Pandemic - Is Toilet Paper Really Necessary?



After spending over a week going to grocery stores in both Fort Collins and Denver looking for toilet paper, I finally bit the bullet, set the alarm for 6:00 A.M., and headed off to the Belcaro King Soopers (part of the Kroger grocery store chain) here in Denver to make sure I was one of the first through the doors yesterday morning.  There were a number of people in front of me, as seen in the photograph above, but no matter - how much toilet paper could they possibly buy?  The doors opened promptly at 7:00 A.M.  I grabbed a shopping cart, headed to the paper goods aisle, and found - guess what - empty shelves.  It looked like a swarm of locusts had descended on the place.  I asked one of the clerks why that was, and was told that since this was a small store, it didn't get deliveries every day.  No matter.  I hopped in the car and headed to one of the largest King Soopers in the city, just a few miles away.  I was surprised to find that the entire parking lot was practically full at 7:10 in the morning. After parking in what I think was a different time zone, I finally worked my way to the paper goods.  I was indeed able to buy toilet paper, paper towels, and Kleenex for both my sister and myself, but it was not easy to squeeze in there.  And it was impossible to follow CDC guidelines.  You try practicing social distancing these days in the toilet paper aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment