Saturday, March 21, 2020

Springtime In The Rockies...



The first day of spring saw a powerful snowstorm hit the front range of Colorado (the area from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs), with blizzard conditions on the eastern plains.  Snow totals did not seem very high in central Denver or Fort Collins, although the amounts varied wildly throughout the area.  The wind was the main problem, especially driving across open country. It seems like every time there is a big snowstorm, I have to drive from here in Denver up to Fort Collins, across what in point of fact is the edge of the Great Plains, which is not known for it's pleasant wintertime conditions.  I am beginning to think this is all some sort of cosmic joke, but if nothing else, I do have a good sense of humor.  Needless to say, visibility was pretty poor, but I made it up there in one piece.   And happily, the snow stopped falling by late afternoon, and I was able to take my sister Susan's dog Blackberry (seen in the photo on the left) on a fun-filled walk through that winter wonderland.



Susan had refilled her bird feeders just the day before, although it appears that it is being patronized more by squirrels than birds.  Squirrels are not popular here in Colorado - one of my former Tattered Cover Bookstore colleagues refers to them as "tree rats." Blackberry, however, just loves squirrels, and chases after them whenever one appears.  Once they flee up into the trees, she refuses to leave, convinced they will come back down and play with her.  The squirrel in the photo on the right, by the way,  seems pretty damn chunky to me, and so I suspect it is getting more than it's fair share.  Kind of like those hoarders hitting the grocery stores these days and buying up all the toilet paper, rice, and other staples.  And don't get me started on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment