Thursday, February 10, 2022

Still Another Visit To The Littleton Museum




I went back to the Littleton Museum this past Sunday to take a few photographs. Not only does it have a museum focusing on the history of Littleton, located just to the south of Denver, but it also features two living farms - one from the 1860s and one from the 1890s. Both farmhouses (the one from the 1860s can be seen in the photo on the left) were staffed by docents in period costumes telling visitors the history of the houses. I was very surprised to learn that the 1860s log cabins were built by one person in about two weeks, in anticipation of coming bad weather, and the size of the cabin was determined by what trees were available in the area.






Each time I visit, I see the "guard cat" seen in the photograph on the right. It runs free throughout the grounds and buildings, and always seems to follow me around. I don't know if it finds me suspicious or just thinks I might feed it. Wrong on both counts, cat.







The farm animals are the best part of the museum, and the sheep and goats are the most numerous, and also the most willing to have their portraits taken. I have taken a photograph of the goat in the photograph on the left before, but when you find a willing subject, it is best not to look a gift horse - so to speak - in the mouth.






I am not sure if I have taken a photograph of the sheep in the photo on the right before or not. Sadly, all sheep look the same to me, but it was willing to look me in the eye and pose for the camera. And just why does the Littleton Museum have so many sheep? Do they use the wool to make clothing, forcing their unpaid docents to spin the wool into yarn, under the guise of historical re-enactments? Next time I am there I will be sure to check out the gift shop and see if there is an overabundance of wool clothing for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment